April 18, 2006

Microblogging For Efl Alongside Plurk

Well I never idea I'd enjoin this, but I've travel a fan of Twitter vs Plurk comparison. Now almost half-dozen weeks later, I convey to enjoin that for me Plurk has come upwards out every bit a clear winner. Watch this exhibit to encounter why.

Here's a quick exhibit of Plurk together with some of the features.




What I similar near microblogging
  • One employment that I constantly convey is the amount of data together with novel things I honour that I'd similar to portion but simply don't convey fourth dimension to enquiry together with write about. What I convey institute over the final few weeks is that mircoblogging allows me to portion this information, admittedly amongst less depth, but I've been able to portion links to resources that people powerfulness honour useful, but which I don't convey the fourth dimension to explore inwards depth.
  • See my Plurk business hither if you'd similar to banking corporation fit out the sites I don't convey fourth dimension to write about: http://www.plurk.com/user/NikPeachey
What I similar near Plurk
  • For me the best Plurk characteristic is the powerfulness to embed video from YouTube together with images into the Plurk. This enable users to scout the clip or picture without leaving the Plurk interface.
  • I too actually similar the horizontal fourth dimension business together with the agency you lot tin scroll dorsum through fourth dimension lines together with thread inwards comments. Threaded give-and-take tin oft travel real disjointed together with difficult to follow on Twitter, but Plurk makes it much clearer which comments are related.
  • I similar the distinction betwixt friends together with fans (friends Plurks tin too seem on your line, whereas fans simply subscribe to your feed)
  • I similar the feel of accumulating 'karma' every bit you lot educate your plurk presence.
  • I dear the Plurk widget (you tin encounter it embedded towards the bottom of the right manus column on this page).
  • I actually similar that Plurk gives a alternative of verbs for the message
So how near using microblogging amongst EFL studnts
As a instructor you lot could operate microblogging to:
  • Share resources together with links to useful websites or videos (they opened upwards inwards the interface together with then students don't convey to search around YouTube for them.
  • Send out prompts together with reminders to students near assignments together with due dates.
  • You could simply operate the social facial expression to portion a chip of what you lot exercise each twenty-four hours amongst them
  • Send students images to comment on / describe
  • Send out words together with inquire students to answer amongst a definition.
  • Create unmarried judgement assignments that students answer to wit unmarried sentences.
  • Create sentences for the students to correct.
  • Create a collaborative story. You outset the floor amongst i business together with each educatee has to add together some other using the response feature.
Your students could operate microblogging to:
  • Create a learner diary, recording briefly their linguistic communication learning activities together with insights through the day.
  • Ask questions to the groups together with acquire back upwards amongst novel words they honour or things they don't understand.
  • Post a brusque judgement each twenty-four hours using a dissimilar i of the verbs inwards the Plurk line
  • Share expert websites etc.
  • Share a footling of their the world together with what they exercise when they aren't inwards class.
What I'm non together with then certain about
  • It's actually difficult for a contender similar Plurk to interruption into a marketplace that Twitter almost invented, together with then despite the fact that I operate Plurk to a greater extent than oft together with it seems to me a much improve product, I've got far to a greater extent than followers on Twitter than I convey on Plurk, together with then the audience potential is much greater amongst Twitter.
  • As ever privacy is something you lot postulate to hold upwards careful of, together with I've institute that a few people who convey requested friendship exclusively exercise together with then to 'spam' my fourth dimension line. Though that's slow to form out together with stop.
Well which ever you lot use, whether it's Twitter, Plurk or something else I promise you lot relish your microblogging experience.

Drop me a business if you lot know of other alternatives, or if you lot convey used these microblogging applications inwards other ways. As ever you lot comments are welcome (though moderated!).

Best

Nik Peachey

Related links:
See Wikipedia's Definition of microblogging
See My Plurk microblog
See My Twitter microblog
See My Plurk exhibit video on YouTube together with catch an embed code.

No comments:

Post a Comment